Monday, June 11, 2012

Spirit Fighter by Jerel Law Book Review

Seventh-grader Jonah Stone discovers that he is one-quarter angel--his mother is the daughter of a human and a fallen angel--and after she is kidnapped, Jonah and his sister, Eliza, must try to rescue her, with the help of prayers and a guardian angel. 

MY REVIEW
First I would like to THANK Amy at Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review Spirit Fighter. I have to say I loved this book and when I was finished I gave my son the book to read and he devoured it in one night. 

Spirit Fighter is a story about Jonah and Eliza a brother and sister dual whose mother has been kidnapped by fallen angels. They learn that their mother is a Nephilim making then 1/4 Angel. As the story unfolds Jonah and Eliza have to trust the Guardian Angel God has sent down to guide them in the right direction of finding their mother. As they travel the dangerous streets of New York they begin to understand God's Plan.

I really enjoyed this story because it had all the elements I love in a story about Angels and Demons and Good VS Evil. This book is for middle school children and one I have recommended to my son's school for the summer reading list. It was a fast paced book and I read it in a day and I can'y wait to read the second book in the series. 

Ephesians 6:12 
New International Version (©1984)
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.(less)
About Jerel
Jerel Law is a gifted communicator and pastor with seventeen years of full-time ministry experience. He holds his undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (go Tarheels!), and a master of divinity degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Jerel began writing fiction as a way to encourage his children’s faith to come alive. He lives in North Carolina with his family. Spirit Fighter is his first novel.

Q: How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing fiction for about ten years. It all started after I read a book on a summer vacation at the beach. It spurred an idea and I thought, “I could do this.” I shared it with my wife, Susan, and she encouraged me to write – and even gave me permission to spend my evenings in front of the computer, pecking away at it. Even though that novel was never published, I finished it – and knew this was something I wanted to do.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for Spirit Fighter?
A combination of things, really. I’ve always been intrigued by Genesis 6 and the mysterious nephilim in the Bible. It hit me that if one of these mysterious, half-angel half-human creatures had a child, that he would be one-fourth angel – and just may have some angelic powers too. I also began to have a deep desire to communicate the reality that there is a spiritual world all around us.

At that same time – in the summer of 2009 – my kids were looking for something fun to read, and I began to wonder if I could write a book they would actually be interested in. (No small task!) The idea, and the motivation to write it, came together in a flurry of notes and study, and I plunged into Spirit Fighter.
FIND JEREL AT: http://www.jerellaw.com/

1 comment:

Pam said...

Sounds good. Thanks for the review!