Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Too Hot to Handle by Aleah Barley Book Review and Playlist


She was playing with fire...
Honey Moore has made her pledge: no more stealing cars and no more lusting after Jack Ogden. But when an arsonist torches her house and chases her all over Los Angeles, she’s forced to throw herself on Jack’s mercy. No one will look for a convicted felon in an LAPD detective’s apartment, right?
…and he didn't want to get burned
Jack doesn’t need a woman like Honey in his life. She might be sexy, but trouble follows her everywhere. But it’s hard to walk away from someone who lives at full throttle—and even harder to keep her safe. Now he’ll have to sacrifice everything to protect Honey from the arsonist determined to kill her. 

MY REVIEW
*******THIS IS A MATURE BOOK FOR ADULTS 18 AND OVER*******

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Entangle for allowing me to read and review this book. I have to say I LOVED LOVED this book! I have been reading more and more adult books and I am getting hooked!

Honey is everything your parents warn you about. Fast and fearless and also reckless. See Honey has loved Jack for years but they come from two different worlds and Honey can't ever see them getting together. Then she is the target of an arsonist and she runs right to Jack. Jack wants nothing to do with Honey because he is a cop and Honey broke his heart.

Then Honey tells Jack that someone is out to kill her and she wants his help to find out why this person wants her dead. Jack decides he will help Honey and along the way he falls for her again. Jack and Honey have to piece together all the clues but can Honey learn to lower her guard long enough for Jack to come in? Will Honey learn to trust Jack again? Will Jack let down his guards in order to let Honey in?

Come along for a To Hot To Handle Summer READ! Jack is definitely my new swoon worthy guy! My song for Jack and Honey is Drake $ Rhianna's Take Care 
Lyrics
I've asked about you and they've told me things
but my mind didn't change
I still the feel the same
what's a life with no fun, please don't be so ashamed
I've had mine, you've had yours we both know, we know.
They don't get you like I will
my only wish is I die real
cause that truth hurts, and those lies heal
and you can't sleep thinking that he lies still
so you cry still, tears all in the pillow case,
big girls all get a little taste
pushing me away so I give her space
dealing with a heart that I didn't break.
I'll be there for you, I will care for you
I keep thinking you, just don't know
try to run from that, say you're done with that
on your face girl, it just don't show.
When you're ready, just say you're ready
when all the baggage just ain't as heavy
and the parties over, just don't forget me
we'll change the pace and we'll just go slow.
You won't ever have to worry,
you won't ever have to hide,
you've seen all my mistakes,
so look me in my eyes.
Read more: DRAKE - TAKE CARE LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/take-care-...
Copied from MetroLyrics.com 
Aleah Barley is a writer of humorous (she hopes) contemporary romance. After living all over the United States, she recently moved to Motor City with a fluffy Maine Coon Cat who is constantly trying to appropriate her computer. Her debut book ‘What Goes Around’ is due out from Entangled Publishing’s Indulgence line any minute. She is hard at work on her next book.
This is Aleah Barley, author of 'Too Hot to Handle' and here's my blog post!

Yay!
Too Hot to Handle--The Musical

Okay, so in general I listen to modern hipster rock with a classic vibe. Think The Fray, Eric Hutchinson, or Train. I’m currently cycling through the CD California 37 like it’s a Classic Schwinn and I’m on the Tour de France. If I’d known about this CD while I was writing Too Hot to Handle then it would have been the soundtrack. All the way from ‘This’ll Be My Year’, through ‘Bruises’, ‘50 Ways to Say Goodbye’, and ‘California 37’.

Secret vice: I love the lyrics to the Train song ‘Mermaid’. I just like the lyric ‘Whoa, whoa, can’t swim so I took a boat, to an island so remote only Johnny Depp has ever been to it before.’ That’s an island I would like to go to.

Unfortunately, I didn’t know about this CD and—double unfortunately—I don’t listen to modern hipster rock with a classic vibe while I’m writing. My double fudge secret vice with chocolate shavings, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream on top is modern country music, classic rock, and the occasional Bowling for Soup album thrown in for good measure.

Too Hot to Handle is about two people who went out a few times in high school and have been fighting with each other ever since. Jack Ogden’s a good looking, upstanding LAPD detective and Honey Moore’s a spunky ex-car thief with a chip on her shoulder and an arsonist after her. It’s got some funny moments, some sexy scenes, and some red hot cars.

The tagline is ‘He stole her heart, she stole his car’ and it’s a book about all-American muscle, whether the muscle in question belongs to a Dodge Super Bee or Jack’s rock hard abs.

So, the official playlist for Too Hot to Handle has got to start off with something classic about classic cars and the wild women who drive them. Mustang Sally. It’s a classic for a reason.

On the other hand, maybe Mustang Sally’s a little too tried and true. How about Tracy Chapman’s ‘Fast Car.’

The best song to short hand the back story is definitely the Eric Church song ‘Springsteen.’

But, if I had to come up with one song to set Jack’s mood for the first few chapters it would be Jake Owen’s ‘Tell Me’ while towards the end he’s hearing Josh Turner’s ‘Firecracker.’

Of course, when it comes right down to it, Jack’s a classic American man—and I’m a sucker for a great music video. With a car theme! Which is why Jack’s theme in my head is Bruce Springsteen’s ‘I’m on Fire.’

Honey’s a little more hard core. When she blasts her car radio, driving down the Pacific Coast Highway with the windows rolled down, she likes to hear something fast. Her personal anthem is Bon Jovi’s ‘It’s My Life’ and she loves Montgomery Gentry’s ‘What Do You Think About That?’

She’ll listen to Kid Rock or Godsmack, but mostly she listens to the jukebox at her uncle’s bar. Elvis Presley’s ‘In the Ghetto.’ An excellent mechanic (and a former car thief), she’s got a special place in her heart for Johnny Cash’s ‘One Piece at a Time’ and Phil Vassar’s ‘Athens Grease.’

When it comes to Jack, Honey’s back to Bon Jovi with ‘Have a Nice Day.’

Like every good romance, Too Hot to Handle ends with a Happily Ever After. So this list has to end with a love song. Rascal Flatt’s ‘Broken Road.’ Okay, two love songs. Kenny Chesney’s ‘How Forever Feels.’

If you liked the music—or even if you didn’t—you should check out my book. Too Hot to Handle at http://www.entangledpublishing.com/too-hot-to-handle/. Also, read my blog at www.blogspot.com/aleahbarley and like me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/aleahrbarley.

2 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

This sounds great! Can't wait to read it!

Tee said...

Elizabeth,
Great book! This is a summer must read :)