Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Around The World ARC Tour Presents All We Have Is Now by Lisa Schroeder


Synopsis:

What do you do with your last day on earth?

Just over twenty-four hours are left until an asteroid strikes North America, and for Emerson and everyone else who didn't leave, the world will end. But Emerson's world already ended when she ran away from home. Since then, she has lived on the streets, relying on her wits and on her friend Vince to help her find places to sleep and food to eat.

The city's quieter now that most people are gone, and no one seems to know what to do as the end approaches. But then Emerson and Vince meet Carl, who tells them he has been granting people's wishes -- and gives them his wallet full of money. 

Suddenly, this last day seems full of possibility. Emerson and Vince can grant a lot of wishes in one last day -- maybe even their own.

Goodreads:

Order from: Powells, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, or your favorite bookstore.

Review:

All We Have Is Now is one of those stories that will stay with you for a long time. After reading it I had to sit there and think about How I would react and what would I do and who would I spend my last day with.

Emerson and her best friend Vince have 24 hours to live before an asteroid hits where they live. Everyone is getting out of there but Emerson convinces her best friend Vince to stay with her and survive the asteroid. Vince agrees to stay because he and Emerson both have one thing in common and that is that they are homeless and both have been together for a year and a half living on the street struggling to feed and cloth themselves and find shelter. So to them the asteroid means nothing.

Then Emerson and Vince are on the bridge where they meet a man named Carl. Carl claims to be granting wishes and Emerson and Vince both wish for money. Carl gives them a wallet full of money and tells them to pay it forward. Do they pay it forward or do they take the money for themselves? 

This is a must read book! It will have you on the edge of your seat wondering what happens in the end. 


Official Bio:

 Lisa Schroeder is the author of over a dozen books for kids and teens, including the YA novels I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME and THE BRIDGE FROM ME TO YOU and the middle grade novels IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES and MY SECRET GUIDE TO PARIS. She loves tea and cookies, flowers, family hikes, books and movies that make her laugh and cry, and sunshine. Living in Oregon, she doesn't get nearly enough sunshine, but the hikes are amazing. You can visit her online at www.lisaschroederbooks.com or on twitter at @lisa_schroeder.

twitter:

facebook:

tumblr:

instagram:
 lisaschroeder15

Commonly Asked Questions and Answers:


Where do you live? In a suburb outside Portland, Oregon

Are you married and do you have kids? Yes, I am married, and I have two sons. For safety reasons, I will not give out names or ages. Thanks for your understanding.

What books have you written? On the home page, you can find tabs with LOTS of information about the books I've written for both teens and kids, but I'll list them here too. Click on the links and you can order them from Powell's bookstore. They'll ship them right to you!

For ages 13 and up, I currently have six books published:








For ages 8-12, I have seven books published:









Do you have any pets? Yes, I have a sweet dog named Stormy (pictured here with me) and a cat named Sparkles.

Can you tell me your birth date for a report I'm doing or a competition I'm in? For authors who are living, I think we need to be careful about giving out too much personal information. Identity theft is real. But I understand some of you really need at least the year in order to use my books in interpretive competitions. So here is the year I was born: 1967. Thanks and good luck!!

I need some information for a report I'm doing on you at school. Can you tell me some interesting and fun stuff about yourself?

I graduated from Lebanon Union HS in Lebanon, Oregon. I went on to college at Oregon State University and majored in Business Administration. I received my degree, and then worked in the field of Human Resources for a number of years and just recently, quit my day job to be a full-time author. I love it, but it can be stressful not having a regular paycheck coming in, so we'll see how long that lasts. For now, I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Things I enjoy doing: walking my dog, watching movies, baking yummy things, reading, and traveling. I've only traveled around USA and to Canada, and dream of visiting France and Italy some day. If any French or Italian publishers are reading this, please, publish my books there!

My favorite movie is "The Sound of Music." My favorite band is Lifehouse. I love singer/songwriters and some of my favorites are Matt Nathanson, the Civil Wars, and Taylor Swift. I'm inspired all of the time by music, and can't imagine my life without it!

How long have you been writing? Why did you become an author?

I've been writing books since I was a young girl. I still have one I wrote and illustrated, called "The Lion's Valentine," that my grandma saved for over 30 years. She gave it to me when I told her I was writing books and trying to get them published. But I seriously started writing for kids in 2003. I sold my first picture book in 2005, and my first novel in 2007. I wrote a lot of bad stories and got a lot of rejections (like over 100) before I finally sold a book.

I wanted to become an author because I loved books when I was a kid, and books are one of my most favorite things. Between the pages of a book, we can visit new places, make new friends, and when we're having a hard time, perhaps feel a little less alone in the world.

Can you read a story I'm writing? I'm sorry, but I'm really busy. Occasionally I will help a student for a big senior project by providing feedback on a story and answering questions about being a writer. But it's incredibly time consuming and I can only do one per year. If you want feedback on your work, you might think about forming a critique group so you have a group of fellow writers who can give each other critiques.


Why does it take so long for a new book to come out? The publishing business is slow! I am a fairly fast writer, but once the book is done, there are still many rounds of edits working with the editor, someone has to design the interior of the book, someone else has to come up with the cover, they have to print galleys for review, and on and on.

What advice do you have for young writers?Mostly, it comes down to three things. Read a lot, write a lot, and don't give up!

If you want more specific advice, I wrote a blog post that gives my top ten things you should do if you want to write a novel. You can read it HERE.

Can you tell me anything else interesting about yourself? I'm so boring. Really. But here are some things I love: Pretty flowers. Cupcakes. Cute animals. Tea and cookies. Music. Summertime. Here are some things I hate: Mean people. Cleaning the house. Scary movies.

Did you like school? Most of the time, yes. Sorry for those of you who don't like it much. Get involved in something you enjoy is my best advice. And if you don't know what kinds of things you enjoy, try new things. I didn't know I liked theater or marching band until I decided to try them in middle school. And I had so much fun once I did!

Any books you can recommend on writing? Yes!

If you are a serious writer, you’d be wise to invest in a few books to help you with your craft. I’ve found the first three on the list to be invaluable. 
Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass 
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books by Harold Underdown 
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King 
Picture Writing by Anastasia Suen 
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott 
Take Joy: A Book for Writers by Jane Yolen 
On Writing by Stephen King 

Happy reading and writing!

No comments: