Sunday, February 7, 2016

Type 2 Diabetes The Owner's Manual by Daryl Wein Book Review


Synopsis:

Daryl Wein discovered he was among the millions of patients with type 2 diabetes while studying to become a Physician Assistant. That's when he found out that, despite type 2 diabetes making up the vast majority of cases, most of the reading material he could find was geared toward patients with type 1 diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes The Owner's Manual is his way of fixing that. This handbook is an easy-to-read guide on how to manage your blood sugar primarily through diet. It is written clearly and concisely, explaining the difference between the two diseases in a way that is easy to grasp. You don't have to be a health professional to understand the book.

 Wein includes concrete examples of what to eat and what to avoid. He talks about the importance of exercise and provides information about medicines in a way that the layman can comprehend without needing to know medical terminology. The book also includes a useful question-and-answer section that covers a variety of specifics about type 2 diabetes to help you make sense of it all. Wein knows about the frustration and fear diabetics feel, because he's been there. As he explains in the book, when he experienced blurred vision and other health problems while studying to become a Physician Assistant, he discovered that he was among the millions diagnosed each year with type 2 diabetes. "There was no mistake: I was now a diabetic!" he writes. "I sat down and started crying, not something I would ordinarily allow myself to do."

 He goes on to describe how a mentor told him that diabetes can usually be managed easily. He made sure to explain that failing to control it can lead to serious health problems including blindness, kidney failure, and limb amputations. He offered hope. Wein's book offers the same message of hope, along with a somber reminder that failing to control diabetes can lead to premature death. He provides readers with the right information to help make sure they understand that this doesn't have to happen to them.

 The author also makes clear the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes, suggesting that type 2 diabetes needs to have a new name. That name should be "carbosis," he argues, which gets right to the point that type 2 diabetes is a disease where the body does not process carbohydrates correctly. He has conveniently included tabular lists of many foods, showing the carbohydrate content of each. 

"My intent in writing this book is to finally provide a source of information geared specifically for you and me, along with the millions of others with this disease and the many millions who have it but don't yet know it," he writes. "This book is designed primarily to provide clear guidance for patients." You don't have to be a health expert to manage the disease. Wein lays it out to his patients, about eighty percent of whom, he estimates, have well-controlled blood sugar levels.

 Type 2 Diabetes The Owner's Manual can be your step-by-step guide on how to control your disease. Let this book help you manage type 2 diabetes rather than letting the disease manage you. 

Goodreads:

Review:

First I have to say that this book has helped me tremendously because I am a Type 2 Diabetic and I have a very hard time controlling my blood sugars. This book came at the right time because I have been back and forth with doctors and being in the hospital because of my uncontrolled diabetes. My eyesight is suffering from it and there are days when I can't see at all.

The one thing I learned from this book that is so important is that carbs kill. There is a thing called Carbosis which is having an elevated blood sugar for a longtime. Carbs create high blood sugars that go on to other things. One phrase that kept coming back to me was "Blood - Sugar Blanche". BLANCHE stands for Blood -Legs amputated - Atherosclerotic - Nerve problems - Circulatory Problems - Heart Disease - Existing only because of Dialysis treatment. This had me thinking I need to make sure I stay away from carbs and re-exam what I eat and male sure I take my blood sugar everyday and eat healthy and exercise. 

Amazon:

No comments: