Saturday, November 17, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber Book Review

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

(Mature Young Adult/ New Adult)

MY REVIEW

5 OF 5 EASY

Easy is a New Adult book and man oh man is this book EPIC! I have to say that lately I have been reading more and more New Adult books and the more I read them the more I fall in love with the Genre. This new genre is going to take the young adults transitioning into college kids by storm. I find I love a story told in the college seen because a lot kids go to college and have no idea what they are getting into. When i went to college I remember the first frat party I attended lord I saw more things that I had ever seen in my life and the shock was mild because the other parties were worse.

This is a story about a girl in love who follows her high school boyfriend to college although she does not want to be there. They do okay at first but Kennedy and Jacqueline are about to find out what happens when you let outside influences come between the person you love. Kennedy loves Jacqueline but he is in a fraternity and he wants to sew his oats before he becomes a politician like his family expects him to. So Kennedy decides to break it off with Jacqueline to come and go as he pleases. At first Jacqueline is devastated but she decides she needs to move on. 

Her best friend is going to the frat party that her ex-boyfriend belongs to for Halloween and Jacqueline does not really want to go but she decides she will humor her friend. Once there she starts having fun until Buck one of Kennedy's frat buddies decides he wants Jacqueline and will take no for an answer. Only Jacqueline does say no and he follows her out to her car where he tries to rape her and she is saved by Lucas. Lucas kicks Buck's ass which I loved because no means no dammit! So Jacqueline is grateful for him being there and the next day in class she realizes he is in the same class as her. 

As she and Lucas get closer Kennedy decides he wants her back but Jacqueline decides she wants to move on. She wants to start a fresh clean slate and does not want anything to do with the frat. To make her case even stronger against Kennedy when she tells him that Buck tried to rape her he does not believe her. What a tool Kennedy is.

I have to say that this story tore at my heart because it dealt with rape and death and learning to heal. When someone is so broken how do they heal? Well Lucas and Jacqueline and Kennedy will learn that they will have to heal themselves before they can move on. Sometimes it is better to walk away forever rather than try and stay and make something what it is not.
I write romantic Mature Young Adult / New Adult fiction.

EASY is my newest contemporary stand-alone novel. BETWEEN THE LINES is my contemporary series. Available on:Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBookstore, IndieBound, and the Book Depository.

Reading was one of my first and earliest loves, and writing soon followed. My first book was about a lost bear, but my lack of ability as an illustrator convinced me to abandon that effort and concentrate on passing 3rd grade. I wrote sad romantic poetry in high school and penned my first half-novel when I was 19, for which I did lots of research on Vikings (the marauders, not the football team). It was accidentally destroyed when I stuffed it into the shredder at work.

Addictions: coffee and Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt. Also baby carrots, but not with coffee or frozen yogurt, because that would be disgusting. I love shopping for earrings, because they always fit - even if I occasionally forget to work out. I'm a hopeful romantic who adores novels with happy endings, because there are enough sad endings in real life.

Representation: Jane Dystel of Dystel & Goderich handles all questions regarding subsidiary rights for any of my work. Please direct inquiries regarding foreign translation and film rights availability to her.

Review copies/Interview requests: For Easy (North America), please contact my publicists: Rosanne Romanello orErin Galloway. I've filled all budgeted (US) review requests for Between the Lines, Where You Are and Good For You. For all books (UK / Commonwealth), please contact: Jayde Lynch (Press Officer, Penguin Group, UK).

Writing/Self-Publishing Advice: Any success I've enjoyed as an author can be attributed to a combination of hard work, blind luck, and fantastic emotional support. As much as I'd like to, I don't have time to write back to everyone who asks me questions about my journey as an author. Most questions are answered in this post: Indie Writing FAQs.

Reader FAQs: No, I don't plan to write any more stories centered on Graham and Emma or Lucas and Jacqueline. Here's why: Love May Make the World Go 'Round... But Conflict Makes a Novel Go 'Round. Want to gush, gripe, or ask a question? Please write to me at tammarawebber(at)hotmail(dot)com, and I'll attempt to answer in a timely manner! (Please assume timely is a relative term.) Questions concerning anything answered on this page or in one of the referenced posts will likely be ignored, due to the fact that I have a book or two to write. :)


3 comments:

Nereyda @Nick and Nereydas Infinite Booklist said...

LOVE this book! It is freaking EPIC!

Jennifer Lane said...

I love NA books and I can't wait to read this one. Awesome review and I enjoyed reading the author's blurb.

Anonymous said...

I've read so many reviews about this book... But I'm still not sure if I should read it or not. Is it really worth the read? I'm doubting cause the books I've read lately all had raving reviews, but weren't meant for me...